The Beginning of Another Story

**This is a guest post by my daughter, Landyn.  She wrote this sometime last week, but I felt it was a fitting post for Orphan Sunday.  I'm so proud of her heart.


My name is Landyn. I have been through a lot of stuff. And that "stuff" just happens to be adoption. Exactly 3 years ago, my mom and dad visited my siblings in the albergue (orphanage). That's when I didn't totally know what was happening. It was all at once!

So, first of all, my mom told me long before we went to Costa Rica that we were going to adopt a baby from Colombia. I was hoping it would be a baby girl, since I'd always wanted a sister. Turns out, it ended up being Costa Rica. We had looked kids up for adoption online and my siblings turned out to be some of them. There was a picture of the three of them on a website. Then, we looked at their picture closer. We decided to figure out more about them since God seemed to be speaking to us about them. That's when we figured out they were from Costa Rica and not Colombia. It was all a sign from God. And that's where it all began.

About 1 year later, when everything was ready, we headed to my great grandma's house. She lived in Toledo, the closest place to Detroit, Michigan. We slept there, then woke up at 5:00 in the morning. Ugh! I mean I'm a morning person, but 5:00-that's almost a little too early.

We drove to Detroit and got on our plane. Lucky for us; we got to see the sunrise! It was beautiful and it just reminded me again of God's creativeness.

After about 3 hours, we landed in Florida. Then we hopped on another plane. It took a little while longer, but finally we got there! Costa Rica! It was beautiful! Well, the airport was kinda busy though, if you know what I mean.

Once we were out of the airport, we met up with some friends of ours. They took us to meet Don Abel. Don Abel took us to Portantorchas. It was so fun!

Anywho, later in our stay, Gina broke a finger, and then the same person got a rusty soccer goal nail up her leg. Fun!

Even later, we went to the best place ever. (drumroll, please) Punta Leona! It was a super nice beach with pools and not only one, but two beaches. The waves were so calm! It was so relaxing! Sadly, we only got to stay for a week.

About a week or so after that, we flew back to Florida, then Detroit, Michigan. Then we drove back to Ohio. Around that time, it was snowing. Of course, none of them had experienced snow before. It was so new to them. They definitely were not used to wearing coats, hats, or gloves either.

It was a crazy experience, but it was also fun. Even through all of the pain, it was worth it. I encourage whoever's reading this, to adopt! It's sometimes a little scary, but it makes a big, happy family once the process is over!

That was back then, though. This is now.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, the week before last week, Tuesday and Wednesday, we had three boys who stayed at our house for a children's choir they did around the USA. The boys were 11, 9, and 9. The 11-year old was from Nepal. One of the 9-year olds was from the Philippines, and the other was from Honduras.

The point is, they left our house on Thursday. Before the boys came, I expected it to be just, you know, a strange, awkward time. Turns out, I bonded really, really well with them. When they left, I felt like a part of me was missing. I knew we would probably never see them again. That's when I knew God was working on my heart. He was transforming it in a good way. I felt like He was telling me something. I felt like He was saying we needed to adopt again. I mean, yeah, we adopted three, but what's a few more?

Anyway, I just felt like we needed to adopt kids. We needed to help them. That way, they won't have to go through bad stuff like what had happened to a lot of kids in this world. I wanted very badly to adopt the three boys we had taken care of. But the thing is, with those kids, they always have to go places, stay with people, then leave them once they form relationships. It's really sad. That's exactly why I wanted to adopt them-so then they won't have to go through all of that.

Romans 8:15

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons and daughters by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"

I just felt like God spoke to my heart and told me we needed to adopt again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment